At Marco Polo we’re passionate about helping people feel close. We develop technology to make that kind of magic happen, and we insist on feeling joyful along the way :D. We’re looking to hire a Head of Finance & Operations.
A great candidate for this role will have experience with the freemium/subscription business model, working with revenue streams from the Google Play and Apple App stores, and operating in a startup environment. As our first finance and operations full-time hire, you’ll be shaping and building out these functions. And as we grow, you will scale our processes, implement new solutions, and help grow the team.
In this position, you will:
- Own the business numbers: Be the go-to source for all financial and operational metrics that we use to manage the business, including how the company has performed in the past and where the company is going in the future. You’ll also be preparing financial reports for month, quarter, and YTD results, providing understanding of business drivers and risks to executives and board members.
- Build and evolve our models: Develop and adapt financial models, introducing greater sophistication and detail as the company grows and evolves. You’ll also be responsible for preparing financial forecasts.
- Set the financial roadmap: Build out the roadmap for decision-making (e.g., unit economics, pricing strategy, PR/marketing spend controls, etc.)
- Develop financial / operational infrastructure: Introduce and evolve best-practice systems to our company (e.g., quarterly forecasting, monthly budgeting, contractor agreements, etc.)
- Manage the company’s financial / operational technology & partners: Vet and implement stage-appropriate technology and partner solutions for Marco Polo’s financial and operational needs (e.g., budget management, benefits management, expense tracking, etc.). You’ll also oversee outside vendors, including tax, auditor, accounting, and legal to ensure alignment with the budgets that you’ll create.
- Oversee all facets of day-to-day business operations: You’ll manage operations from financial planning, administration, legal to HR and be the operational linchpin between business units.
- Lead & coordinate team well-being efforts: You’ll support building a collaborative, cohesive culture that is team-driven and uses data to drive decisions, performance, and recognition. You’ll work with HR to design competitive benefits. And you’ll continue to look for creative ways to make our 100% remote work environment even more joyful.
- Partner cross-functionally: Collaborate effectively with teammates in marketing, product, and service ops to understand the key drivers in the business and help with decision-making. You’ll develop necessary reporting mechanisms across the organization and share comparative operational results and insights.
Ideally you have:
- Passion for finance and operations- including 7+ years of relevant experience- and you love it so much that you can’t help but think in spreadsheets.
- Experience working in an online consumer subscription company and B2B or B2C marketplaces.
- Orientation toward details - even your spreadsheet sanity checks have sanity checks.
- Knowledge of how to scale with a company and don’t let models, systems, or processes get stale when a company outgrows them.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, flexible environmentwith a lot of moving parts.
- Desire to work joyfully, to work hard, and to get smarter. You look for ways to infuse your work with joy, you’re willing to put in the hours if necessary, but you level up the process so that next time you don’t have to.
- Evidence of effective collaboration skills to work successfully in a 100% remote team environment; this includes a mentality of humility and open-hearted listening.
A bit about us:
We're on a mission to help people feel close. We're a fully distributed team that cares about working joyfully and making a big difference in the world.
Our app, Marco Polo®, is already reaching millions of people, helping them feel close to the most important people in their lives. Our new service, Marco Polo Channels, is a one-to-many coaching solution on your own time. Launched in early 2020, Channels has many successful leaders earning revenue doing what they love.
We care deeply about diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We can add teammates from anywhere in North America.
Working here is awesome because:
- We’re a purpose-driven company making a difference in the lives of millions of people
- We’re not just a team, we’re a Teamily. This means that when you join Marco Polo, you’ll join a group of people who aren’t just passionate about what they do, but also care about each other :)
- We’re moving quickly so things never get stale.
- We offer competitive compensation, including equity, and we’ve got you covered when it comes to your health (medical, vision, dental) and your family (paid family leave).
Does this sound exciting to you? If so, then we'd love to hear from you.
Please email the following to email@example.com:
- Your resume
- A question you want to make sure we ask you in the interview
Answers to these questions:
- Why do you think this role will be a good next step for you?
- What would you do in the first 30 days on the job?
- What is your professional superpower and what’s an example of how it’s come in handy?